SPHERE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SPHERE magazine's own discussion and connections forum.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

effects of hairdye and chlorine??

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Vivica Siren
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
Vivica Siren

effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Empty
PostSubject: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:07 am

I'm having a bit of a dialemma... A while ago, i started swimming in the hope to get fit and all that (hah!) but i've kinda avoided it for the past 6 months when i bleached my hair and due to having to dye my hair every week (using Stargazer magenta and tropical green dye) i thought it best not to go as the dye is semi=permanent and i didn't want to be leaving a pink trail behind me in the pool...
Even though I LOVE my pink and green hair, having to dye it every week (and the yellowy bleachness inbetween) is really getting on my nerves... so i've decided to go back to a permanent red colour (Schwarzkopf Live) and I also want to start swimming again (I still have 7 swims left on my pre-paid card!!) but i don't want the chlorine in the pool to turn my hair greenish or anything?? ARGH (sorry rant!)
Any advice?
xx
Back to top Go down
jupiter_crash13
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
jupiter_crash13

PostSubject: Re: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 9:34 am

I think if you go to a beauty supply shop they probably have products that will help. Thinking some kind of toner maybe? You might be able to get a shampoo that has a dye tint in it that will help the longevity of your colour too. Definitly when you are done swimming rinse hair asap to get the chemicals all out.
-M
Back to top Go down
http://jupitercrash13.deviantart.com/
Vivica Siren
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
Vivica Siren

PostSubject: Re: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 10:07 am

Yeah, I hadn't thought about toner - i thought that was just to use to make bleached hair look less yellowy?? I love learning about new beauty products haha!

I'm thinking i might call the manufacturer's helpline and see what they say...! eep I'm not normally worried about my hair but i don't want it to go drastically wrong

Aah vanity!!
Back to top Go down
jupiter_crash13
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
jupiter_crash13

PostSubject: Re: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 10:42 am

Yeah usually toner is to cancel out yellowy problem because it cancels it being a purple colour, so if you found one that is more of a reddish purple in theory it would cancel out the green, but I would definitely call a manufacturer about that and make sure. I can't imagine it would hurt really.
-M
Back to top Go down
spleggy

spleggy

PostSubject: Re: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 12:05 pm

Once upon a time I used to dye my hair....

... enough said. Wink
Back to top Go down
Vivica Siren
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
Vivica Siren

PostSubject: Re: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 1:16 pm

I'm sure i'll have to talk to the manufacturers or a salon to find out what's best!!

spleggy wrote:
Once upon a time I used to dye my hair....

... enough said. Wink

how long ago was that?? ohh i'd love to see photos!
Back to top Go down
jupiter_crash13
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
jupiter_crash13

PostSubject: Re: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 12, 2009 7:19 pm

I am sure a salon or manufacturer can reccomend something good. I find that even with permanent red the effect tends to fade quickly into a more orangey colour so probably advisable to use something on it to maintain between dye jobs either way. I used to use stuff like the Manic Panic shampoos that have a little dye in them, they help keep the tint correct I find.
-M
Back to top Go down
Vivica Siren
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
Vivica Siren

PostSubject: Re: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 7:17 am

I've got some red john freda colour glaze... might give that a try... i dyed my hair this morning so i guess it's trial and error now - i'm just happy the dye took okay with the bleached parts too!!
Back to top Go down
jupiter_crash13
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
jupiter_crash13

PostSubject: Re: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2009 7:56 am

Well I wish you the best of luck with it, and let me know how it works out. I am always interested to learn new ways to keep hair dye looking good. There's a high chlorine content in my water at home from being treated so I tend to steer away from red and stick with black now because it is less work and I am horribly lazy.
-M
Back to top Go down
jupiter_crash13
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
jupiter_crash13

PostSubject: Re: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 7:26 pm

Just wondering how everything turned out with your hair colouring. I was curious to know if you found out about any products to combat the chlorine issue, I am finding that the water where I am living now is making a mess of my colour because of the chlorine content from being treated.
-M
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: effects of hairdye and chlorine??   effects of hairdye and chlorine?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

effects of hairdye and chlorine??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SPHERE :: General discussion :: Non-SPHERE discussion-
Jump to: