SPHERE
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SPHERE magazine's own discussion and connections forum.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!

Go down 
+3
jupiter_crash13
Cyrus Crashtest
DigitalEcho
7 posters

SNES or MEGADRIVE?
SNES!
PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! White67%PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! White
 67% [ 2 ]
MEGADRIVE!
PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! White33%PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! White
 33% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
DigitalEcho

DigitalEcho

PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Empty
PostSubject: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 8:49 am

So..here we are in a world of High Defintion graphics and all matter of multimedia wonderment and I'm thinking, what's happened to simplicity? I may be a bit dramatic but I adore 'Non Hi-def' games! You can still experience the thrill of the race, kill that zombie/soldier/cyborg lurking in the shadows without being distracted by the imense looking scenery or ear deafening soundtrack!

I grew up surrounded by the C64 and the humble Amiga 1200 where graphics looked chunky and you had to squint at the screen to see 'General Zarg and his band of evil do-ers'. The point being is that I'm a stickler for old games that you could spend hours on and not having a care in the wolrd and where it didn't cost a fortune to buy!

Now here is the £1000 question, what is your all time fave non ps3/360 game? I'll start with the Turrican series, especially Turrican 2 (awsome soundtrack).
Back to top Go down
http://www.reverbnation.com/revault
Cyrus Crashtest
Administrator.
Administrator.
Cyrus Crashtest

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 9:10 am

Has to be the old Final Fantasy series - primarily FFVI i think - but to be fair i also loved the PSX releases - playing them all intermittently.

But then Toe Jam n Earl ruled too - so funny - so addictive.

But there are SO many to choose from.

I do love a slick looking game myself, but I do feel that more recent years have seent he games losing depth and gameplay in favour of the cinematics and 'gimmicky' methods of play like the Wii utilises - such a shame the power of that system is so misused in favour of bad rips of 80s classic arcade games - the arcade cabinets would be cheaper and more satisfying I reckon!

Idea Exclamation Question
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/coalitionofsonicterrorism
jupiter_crash13
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
jupiter_crash13

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 2:19 pm

I always loved The 7th Guest, which is a very old creepy pc puzzle game. Well worth trying if you can A. find a copy and B. get it to run on a modern machine. I have been playing it for years and have yet to get past the first disk the last puzzle is so hard!
-M
Back to top Go down
http://jupitercrash13.deviantart.com/
DigitalEcho

DigitalEcho

PostSubject: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 9:39 am

I used to love Monkey Island!! Or as it was known in my house as 'How much longer before it crashes after a disk swap?' heh. Couldn't afford a hard drive for my Amiga Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.reverbnation.com/revault
jupiter_crash13
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
jupiter_crash13

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 10:36 am

I loved monkey island but gave up very soon since it always froze after about 10 minutes of game play. those 10 miutes were fantastic tho
Back to top Go down
Sinister

Sinister

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 11:21 am

The Half Life saga.

FFVII comes in at a close second.
Back to top Go down
Cyrus Crashtest
Administrator.
Administrator.
Cyrus Crashtest

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeTue May 12, 2009 11:29 am

Sinister wrote:
The Half Life saga.

FFVII comes in at a close second.

YOU'll LOVE the Mechanima I posted then!
Back to top Go down
cid

cid

PostSubject: Timeless Classics?   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Yeah - you know... back in the day when games couldn't rely on graphics to put everyone in a state of "awe," much less keep you playing for dozens, if not hundreds, of hours (I'm looking at you, Square...) but actually had to be fun and incorporate ridiculous amounts of replayability into their cartridges?

Let us take a look into the world of old-school gaming and reflect upon our favourite games of old. I know you guys sometimes blow the dust off your NES and boot up your favourite piece of plastic (or favourite piece of illegal gaming software for all you pirates and bootleggers out there).

In short, what are undoubtedly your favourite pieces of nostalgia that reign responsible for starting your addiction to the alternate life of items, health bars, mana, enemies, bosses, and the token supporting character that drops in occasionally to lend a helping hand?

Myself, the first game I remember playing was Final Fantasy for the NES... from there I stumbled upon some other classic favourites such as Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy II (US) - hell, even the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games were big favourites in my book. Leading up to the original PSX, who could forget eating fruit and spinning around aimlessly like a crackhead in need of a fix in Crash Bandicoot? The then-funny catchphrases of Gex? Or even venturing into the industrial depths of the factory life in Oddworld... ah, what a time to grow up in.

From there, it seems to just be an ever-growing downward spiral of the same regurgitated garbage we've seen 10,000 times in 10,000 different ways.

Not that we mind or anything... >=]
Back to top Go down
DarrenIndeed

DarrenIndeed

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 04, 2009 9:01 pm

Any Sega console clearly trumps any non-Sega console for awesomeness.
Back to top Go down
jupiter_crash13
Magazine Contributer.
Magazine Contributer.
jupiter_crash13

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 4:57 am

I was ust talking about this last night, it's a shame that sega has gone strictly software development because their systems were grat. I still have my genesis somewhere, I keep meaning to try and get it running again.
-M
Back to top Go down
Cyrus Crashtest
Administrator.
Administrator.
Cyrus Crashtest

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 1:40 pm

I USED to think the same about sega, but that was until i got a SNES, and then more recently - every game ever released (both in the west and japan) for it - truly bombs the bum-doughnuts on the Megadrive / Genesis.

If you don't believe me, there are sites out there where you can still find those games, and programs to emulate these systems on your computer (as the second hand market for these thngs is sky high at the minute, they are a sensible option monetarily speaking).

BUT, as the boat seems to be out on the legality regarding SOME of these sites and programs (though i do know that ZSNES is somewhat approved legally), I shall leave out any linking URL business!
Back to top Go down
DarrenIndeed

DarrenIndeed

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 6:31 pm

I am well aware of emulators, I have several for multiple consoles on my PSP =P I still think the Mega Drive had better games than the SNES. Remember, Sega does what Nintendon't ;]
Back to top Go down
Cyrus Crashtest
Administrator.
Administrator.
Cyrus Crashtest

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 2:32 pm

ah very good!

well, i totally disagree, but im sure you an agree on the enjoyment factor of one thing (assuming you have tried it - and your emulation credentials would suggest so)

SCUMMVM

if you dont know (everyone else) its a legal and FREE program allowing you to play those classic point and click games on your XP / Vista etc system

get it here - its ace!

SCUMMVM
Back to top Go down
DigitalRevolution

DigitalRevolution

PostSubject: emulators   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 3:37 pm

Didn't SCUMMV have a virus?? I still use WinUAE for amiga emulation.....Wish my CD32 was still running
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!   PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

PS3??Xbox360?? Not for me thanks!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
SPHERE :: Dark Culture :: Gaming / Gaming related-
Jump to: